Setting up a Control Center for Island Networks
The Scope of the Project relates to setting up a new Control Center for Distribution Networks (CCDN) of Non-Interconnected Islands (NII) through the supply and installation of a Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition System - Data Management System (SCADA - DMS), the necessary Remote Terminal Units (RTUs) at the High Voltage/ Medium Voltage (HV/MV) Substations and the establishment of the necessary support structures of the new CCDN.
New Systems and Services
The benefits expected from the implementation of this Project are related to:
- the improvement of quality indices of the provided electricity (System Average Interruption Duration Index (SAIDI) and System Average Interruption Frequency
- Index (SAIFI)), through remote handling of switches on Medium Voltage lines (MV)
- the improvement of the operation of the Network through the decrease of the operational cost (decrease in the work of fault crews and scheduled outages etc)
- the continuous supervision of the status of the remotely controlled elements through which the necessary elements shall be monitored for the rational management of the facilities and the timely detection of malfunctions so as to take corrective measures etc
- the decrease of the loading of the facilities and the restriction of power and energy losses in the Network
The Project is expected to be completed in the 3rd quarter of 2021 (the initial timetable for project completion has been revised). As of March 2019, 58% of the Project was completed. More specifically, the new SCADA-DMS of the Department of Islands Region was installed and is in operation while the installation of the new RTUs at the High/ Medium Voltage Substations has been 100% completed. The integration in the new SCADA of the High/Medium Voltage Substations with Digital Control Systems has been completed at a percentage of 78%. The installation of RTUs in Substations of the Autonomous and Local Generation Stations is pending.